Planning a wedding comes with many things. After going through it last year myself I know how it goes. It can be exhilarating and exciting while also bringing the stress and overwhelm. Navigating the world of wedding vendors and their individual styles can leave you feeling frazzled. But fear not lovebirds, here’s a quick list of questions to ask wedding vendors as you enter the world of planning. Once you’ve visited websites, found vendors you feel a connection with and inquired, now is the perfect time to ask all the nitty gritty questions to connect and build your team. Finding the perfect vendor fits for you and your big day will make all the difference! Now here are the top questions to ask wedding vendors as you build your dream wedding day team!
1. Questions for Venues
Venues can have specific restrictions on other vendors you can bring in (do you have to use only ones from their preferred vendor list?) or limits on guest number or times you can be on the grounds. Ask all the questions to make sure your dream venue can accommodate your dream day.
- What time can we access the venue on the wedding day for setup and breakdown?
- Are there any restrictions on decorations, music, or noise levels?
- Do you have backup plans in case of bad weather?
- What is your policy on cancellations and postponements?
- Is there on-site parking available for guests?
- Do you have a preferred caterer or list of approved vendors?
2. Questions for Caterers
Many caterers are able to provide many types of foods and packages to fit your needs. Here’s a few questions to help you figure out what you want and how food will play a part in your big day. And a reminder, make sure your venue can accommodate specific caterers before booking!
- What types of food and beverage packages do you offer?
- Can you accommodate dietary restrictions?
- What is your service style (plated, buffet, family-style)?
- Do you provide bartenders and bar service?
- What is your policy on leftover food and beverages?
- Can you provide sample menus for tasting?
3. Questions for Photographers
When its all said and done and you both have rings on your fingers the only other thing you’ll have to commemorate your wedding day is your photos. If we haven’t connected yet, contact me here and we can start chatting all things wedding day and photography! I’m always so happy to answer any and all questions! If you’re still on the hunt for your wedding photographer, here’s a few questions to have answered!
- What is your style of photography (photojournalistic, traditional, artistic)?
- Do you offer packages with varying coverage times and deliverables?
- Will you edit the photos and how long will it take to receive them?
- Do you have experience photographing weddings at our venue?
- Do you offer engagement sessions or bridal portraits?
- Can you show me examples of your portfolio that match our wedding style?
4. Questions for Videographers
Having a videographer to capture your day through film will leave you with a beautiful video piece to remember your special day! I recommend finding a videographer in addition to photography to have all the memories forever!
- What type of video coverage do you offer (highlights, full ceremony and reception, documentary-style)?
- Will you be working with a second videographer?
- What audio equipment do you use to capture sound?
- Do you offer drone footage or other add-on services?
- How long will it take to receive the edited video?
- Can you show me examples of your video work that match our wedding style?
5. Questions for Musicians or DJs
Your music and DJ can make or break your party! You must clear in what you’re wanting your day to feel and look like. Ask these questions to make sure your party plans align with whoever will be leading the reception!
- What types of music do you play?
- Can you cater to our specific song requests?
- Do you have experience playing at weddings similar to ours?
- Do you provide lighting and sound equipment?
- Do you take song requests from guests?
- Can you meet with us beforehand to discuss our music preferences?
6. Questions for Officiants
I’ve seen many officiants over the years. From childhood pastors, close friends or family members (we had a cousin marry us!), to officiants found through online searches. Whether you’re finding someone new or having a friend step up, here’s a few things to chat about before getting started.
- What type of ceremony do you perform (religious, interfaith, civil)?
- Do you offer pre-marital counseling?
- Will you work with us to write our vows?
- Can you meet with us beforehand to discuss our vision for the ceremony?
- Do you have any specific requirements for marriage paperwork?
7. Questions for Florists
Decorating with flowers can bring in all the feels on your wedding day. Finding local florists who source locally can add such a personal and beautiful touch. Ask these questions to find your perfect flower fit!
- What types of flowers do you recommend for our season and wedding theme?
- Can you create bouquets, boutonnières, centerpieces, and other floral arrangements?
- Do you offer delivery and setup services?
- What is your cancellation policy?
- Can you show me examples of your floral work that match our wedding style?
8. Questions for Hair and Makeup Artists
Having your hair and makeup done professionally can make anyone feel extra pampered on their big day. When it comes to your look, explain to your artist what you’re envisioning and see if they’re the right fit based on their artistic styles!
- What is your standard rate for bridal hair and makeup?
- Do you offer trials? If so, what is the cost and what is included?
- How many people can you accommodate in my bridal party on the wedding day?
- Will you travel to my location or do I need to come to you?
- What products do you use? Are they cruelty-free and hypoallergenic?
- Do you offer touch-up services throughout the day?
Questions for All Wedding Vendors
Here’s a few things to think about generally for all vendors you connect with.
- Are you available on my wedding date?
- What are your cancelation policy?
- How must I pay you? Do you offer payment plans? Can I use credit card?
- Always sign a contract!
With all vendors the main question to ask yourself is: Do they align with your overall wedding vision and do you trust them? Get to know them a bit as people, not just wedding vendors. Do you feel connected and calm with them? Can you be open and honest with them about your vision and needs? Follow your gut and keep this list of questions to ask your wedding vendors to reference next time you’re on a vendor call. Your vendor team is here for you to make your day as special as can be!
Want to chat about all things wedding? Have more questions you want answers to? Message me, I can’t wait to connect!
Vendors Featured in This Blog
Catering & Desserts
Hair and Makeup
DJ’s & Ceremony Music
Day Of Coordinator